King Charles III expressed the “deepest concern” over the arrest of his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday morning.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation,” said Charles in a statement Buckingham Palace shared with TIME.
Emphasizing that “the law must take its course,” Charles added: “As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
His Majesty’s statement came after Thames Valley Police confirmed early morning searches on two addresses related to Andrew.
“We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk,” read a statement. “The man remains in police custody at this time.”
In accordance with U.K. guidance, the police force stated it will “not be naming the arrested man.”
Thames Valley Police referred TIME to the statement when asked to confirm if Andrew, 66, had been arrested.
“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” said assistant chief constable Oliver Wright, who noted the public interest in the case. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”
Norfolk Police confirmed to TIME it is supporting the Thames Valley Police investigation.
TIME has reached out to Andrew’s representatives for comment.
News of the arrest came after unmarked police vehicles and plain-clothed officers were seen arriving at Andrew’s current home, Wood Farm, on the royal Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, U.K., early Thursday morning. The searches coincide with Andrew’s 66th birthday.

The specifics of the allegations that led to Andrew’s arrest have not yet been disclosed.
Thames Valley Police previously confirmed to TIME on Feb. 9 that they were “assessing the information” regarding allegations that Andrew—while serving as the U.K. trade envoy—shared confidential government reports with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, detailing trips to Singapore, China, Hong Kong, and Vietnam in 2010 and 2011.
The allegations stemmed from newly-unveiled correspondence between Andrew and Epstein, released as part of the U.S. Department of Justice’s final drop of Epstein files on Jan. 30.
An email originally sent to someone titled “The Duke,” which was then forwarded to Epstein, reads: “Please find attached the visit reports for Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong and Shenzhen in relation to your recent visit to South East Asia.”
Another email from “The Duke” to Epstein appeared to detail an investment opportunity in Afghanistan.
Prior to being stripped of his royal titles last year, Andrew was known as the Duke of York.
The documents released by the DOJ also included a photograph of Andrew leaning over a woman on the floor. The woman’s face had been redacted and it’s unclear when or where the photograph was taken.
The image was displayed on a screen in the background while U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi testified before the House Judiciary Committee over the DOJ’s handling of the Epstein files on Feb. 11.
Read More: From Downing Street to the Royal Family, How the Epstein Files Broke Britain
Police were also reviewing a fresh allegation that Epstein sent a woman to Andrew at the Royal Lodge residence in Windsor in 2010.
“We are aware of reports about a woman said to have been taken to an address in Windsor in 2010 for sexual purposes,” a Thames Valley Police spokesperson told TIME on Feb. 4. “We are assessing the information in line with our established procedures.”
The new allegations related to Andrew sparked renewed questions over his relationship with Epstein and his own conduct.
Andrew has consistently and staunchly denied any wrongdoing.

Buckingham Palace previously said King Charles will, if approached, support police as they assess claims related to his brother and his ties to Epstein.
“While the specific claims in question are for Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect,” a Feb. 9 statement read. The Palace echoed that same sentiment on Thursday.
Read More: Buckingham Palace ‘Ready to Support’ Police If Contacted Over Andrew Allegations Amid Epstein Row

Speaking before news of Andrew’s arrest, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said “nobody is above the law” when asked if the royal should testify before U.S. Congress.
“Anybody who has any information should testify, whether it’s Andrew or anyone else,” he told the BBC, echoing remarks made by Hillary Clinton during an interview broadcast earlier in the week.
Andrew’s ties to Epstein and previous allegations
Andrew’s relationship with Epstein—and the fact he continued communicating with the disgraced financier after his initial conviction—has long been scrutinized.
Epstein was initially sentenced to 18 months imprisonment in 2008 after pleading guilty to state charges—one count of soliciting prostitution and one count of soliciting prostitution from someone under the age of 18. He was in custody once more awaiting trial on federal charges for the sex trafficking of minors when he died in a New York jail cell in 2019.
Andrew was famously interviewed on BBC’s Newsnight in 2019 and questioned over why he visited Epstein in New York in 2010.
The royal was accused of sexual abuse himself by one of Epstein’s most prominent victims, the late Virginia Giuffre. He strongly denied the allegations.
During his Newsnight interview, Andrew said he had no recollection of ever meeting Giuffre and seemingly questioned the veracity of a photograph of himself, Giuffre, and Epstein’s associate Ghislaine Maxwell, who is currently serving a 20-year sentence for conspiring with Epstein to sexually abuse minors.
In January 2022, Andrew was stripped of his key military titles and royal patronages in the midst of a civil sexual abuse case brought forward by Giuffre. A month later, he settled the lawsuit with Giuffre for an undisclosed amount.
Andrew was stripped of the remainder of his titles in late 2025, after additional allegations by Giuffre (who died in April 2025) came to light in her posthumous memoir.
Amid growing scrutiny, Andrew moved out of his Windsor residence, the Royal Lodge, in early February. He’s currently living at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate.
Uncategorized,News DeskUnited Kingdom,News Desk#King #Charles #Breaks #Silence #Brother #Andrews #Arrest #Law1771514033